Friday, November 30, 2007

Too Green for North Adams

We've been steadily working on getting the store prepared for our Spring opening. I'm glad we still have a few months to use since we are doing most of the work ourselves...two pregnant gals re-doing an 1100sqft. store and sewing inventory. it's almost comical.
And trying to keep a grip on FocoLoco.
I was a bit bummed about holiday sales so far on the site. It's been a slower than expected shopping season so far, but just as I was getting ready to stick my head in the oven my partner called to say she had seen one of FocoLoco's shirts in Kiwi magazine's holiday shopping guide!
So very cool to get recognition from such a great green publication! It totally made my day.
As it turns out though, there is such a thing as being "too green". At least, this seems to be true here in North Adams, MA.
I knew from the grapevine that getting our signage and storefront designs approved by the local city planning board would probably be an uphill battle. We have been told no less than a hundred times that our chances of getting signage that is anything but black and gold approved are pretty slim. It's pretty understandable really... black and gold is exactly what I think of when I think "sustainable", "handmade", "baby and kids", right?
I'm actually thinking of painting the nursery in an all black and gold color scheme.
We turned in our most recent proposal several weeks ago and I hadn't heard any feedback yet so I went down to the community development office to see if they had made any decisions.
While no official decision has been made yet I was told that the consensus, so far, was that our storefront was literally, "too green".
This confused me because there are no less than 4 stores on Main Street that are painted primarily green. Hunter green and that traditional Christmas green. They are pretty darn green.
Yes, but those are a different green.
Ah, yes, that makes total sense.
Our green is "too bright".
Of course, I mean a children's store.... bright?
what were we thinking...

No comments: