Wednesday, June 27, 2007

dangerously low on batteries

Before my son was born I had all sorts of ideals about the way I would raise this kid. I wanted to steer clear from the plastic, noisy, flashy toys, use cloth diapers and keep him far away from the computer and tv as much as possible.
20 months into it and 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
we are still using cloth diapers, although not exclusively.
he rarely watches tv or "plays" on the computer...
but, man, those obnoxious, noisy, flashy contraptions are a vital part of our daily routine.

It all started when that lovely little newborn didn't turn out to be quiet type and my sleep deprived husband and I were desperate for one night when we could lay him down without hours of screaming ensuing.

We had the battery operated swing, bouncer, crib play station, sound machine and ceiling projector...ANYTHING that might possibly distract our son long enough for his fatigue to capture him and allow him to drift off to sleep.
We have long since retired the swing and bouncer, but the sound machine and projector are as routine as saying "good night" to all the stuffed monsters and playing guitar.

A few nights ago, in the middle of our "good night" routine my husband turned to me with a concerned look on his face:

him: Suz, the projector is low on batteries. He (our son) looks concerned. You better go change them while I play another song for him.

me:Uhhhhhh, I don't think we have anymore C batteries, but I'll look.

him: Well, if there aren't any... you probably shouldn't even come back in here.

His tone was tantamount to a surgeon on a daytime soap breaking the bad news that so-and-so would not, in fact, be surfacing from their coma...EVER.

We are slaves to the battery powered pacification devices.

3 comments:

Reetsyburger said...

That monkey could go apeshit on your asses. Best invest in some rechargeables!

Editor said...

We would need to purchase about $1400 worth of batteries. I have thought about this many, many, many times... but never really managed to pull the trigger.

Julz Nally said...

i can't wait til the day. that sounds awesome! ha